It's How We Treat People

Below is my monthly message for the October 2020 edition of the MHRI newsletter, Focus. You can view Focus online at MedStarResearch.org/FOCUS.


Dear Friends and Colleagues,

We are all human and as human beings we will all need healthcare at some point in our life.  When your time comes that you need care, what do YOU want to experience?

A few days ago, I found myself in just this situation.  Even as a physician, I had questions and concerns and knew I needed someone who is knowledgeable, up-to-date on the latest medical advances, and exhibits good clinical judgement.  What I found was so much more. In addition to the medical expertise, I received very timely, telehealth advice from someone who clearly cared about me and did so with remarkable compassion. When I got off the call, I was comforted not just by what was said, but by how warmly I was treated. 

As I sit down to write this monthly message, I am reminded of the quote from the civil rights activist and poet Maya Angelou: “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Luckily, my medical questions and concerns will be something that I will likely forget years from now, but I will not forget how Dr. T treated me as a person – how he made me feel.

My experience is emblematic of our next phase of the MedStar Health brand strategy: what makes MedStar Health different, better and special is how we treat people. Every day, at every interaction with our patients and their families, with our research participants and with each other, we lead with kindness and compassion while simultaneously using the latest medical information. We are living the dual meanings of its how we treat people throughout all of our actions and with each of our interactions.

In the continued turbulence of 2020, let us embrace this new brand strategy on a personal level so each of us leads with kindness and compassion.  It doesn’t cost a dime but is effects are invaluable. Its how we treat each other will allow us to show our very best self.

I hope you all got a chance to enjoy this beautiful fall weekend. Thank you for what you do and how you do it every day.


Neil

Read Focus online at MedStarResearch.org/FOCUS.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Betsey, Lucy, and Anarcha: Recognition and Remembrance" with MHRI

World Medical Innovation Forum 2018

MedStar Health's Upcoming Advertising Campaign!