Cherish the Gifts of Life!


Below is my monthly message for the December 2019 edition of the MHRI newsletter, Focus. You can view Focus online at MedStarResearch.org/FOCUS.


Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I write this monthly message on a rainy day sandwiched between Black Friday and Cyber Monday. As I was watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, I was reading an article about the rapid change in shopping habits. According to the accounting firm Deloitte, roughly 55% of shoppers say they’ll be doing most of their shopping online this year, with 44% supplementing it with discount stores. Only 28% plan to do most of their shopping in department stores. The statistics support this trend: in 2018, Cyber Monday sales increased 23% and in-store Black Friday sales dropped almost 10% (as they have every year for the last several years). Amazon captured 60% of the online shopping in 2018 and over 20% of online shoppers did their shopping from their phone. I was wondering how much longer Macy’s would sponsor the Thanksgiving parade and if Amazon will step in to keep it going?
Luckily, my attention was quickly distracted when my phone started blowing up with Thanksgiving text messages from friends, family, and colleagues. The phone may become the primary vehicle for shopping, but right now (at least for me), it’s a wonderful way to easily stay in touch with the important people in our life. As I read and replied to the holiday text messages, exchanged stories and memories, my mind become flooded with how fortunate we are in healthcare for having a life enriched with caring, never-ending curiosity, occasional crying, and the everyday pursuit of curing. Who cares about holiday gifts when you have these gifts of life!

It is all too easy in life to focus on the negatives, to get stressed out with unwanted changes or to worry about future challenges. However, in that moment on Thanksgiving morning, I was able to put it into perspective and appreciate the important things in life that we have today. When I think back over the last year and ask myself why I am grateful, I don’t even remember last years’ gifts!

Thank you for all you do at MedStar Health and for enriching the lives of everyone we touch. Together, we advance health for our community. Have a great holiday season everyone!

Neil


P.S. Mark your calendars now for Monday, April 6, 2020, for the 2020 MedStar Health-Georgetown University Research Symposium! View the flyer here.

Read Focus at MedStarResearch.org/FOCUS.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Betsey, Lucy, and Anarcha: Recognition and Remembrance" with MHRI

World Medical Innovation Forum 2018

MedStar Health's Upcoming Advertising Campaign!